Frequently Asked Questions
How can I use Pidgin to access the DocumentFoundation irc chat?
Here are the steps to access the LibreOffice chat.
- Use your packager to install Pidgin if it is not installed.
- If you do not have an account set up already, Pidgin will start with this window and choose "Add"
(*** if you are already using Pidgin for chatting, go to "Accounts->Manage" and the Accounts window will appear and choose "Add" ***)
- You will now see this "Add Acount" window. Click on the Protocol drop down window and choose "irc".
You will notice that it automatically inserts the "irc.freenode.net" in the "server" field.
Type your name (or the name you want people to see in chat mode) into the "Username" field.
The "Username" can either be your real name or any other name.
- Your "Add Account" window should now look like this. Leave the other fields blank and choose "Add".
- A new "Buddy List" window appears. Pidgin will now look like this. Choose "Buddies->Add Chat".
- A new "Add Chat" window appears. Choose "Account" drop down window and in the list choose "Tim@irc.freenode.net (IRC).
Choose "Channel" and type "#documentfoundation" in the field. Leave all else blank.
- The "Buddy List " window should now look like this. Double-click on the "#documentfoundation"
and this will log you into the documentfoundation irc chat room.
- A new window appears with the name of your chat channel at the top (in this case #documentfoundation).
Your Pidgin should look like this. As you can see the list of participants is showing on the right hand side
and you have a small window at the bottom where you can type your message.
Feel free to try it out even if we are not there.
Just give a warning message that you are just trying our the irc chat channel and practising a bit.
- If you have any problems, ask on the chat channel and people will respond in kindness.
Once you are done your session, just exit out of Pidgin, close all windows.
Notice that Pidgin will remain in your bottom task bar.
To close Pidgin down completely, right-click on the Pidgin icon in your taskbar and choose "Quit"
- Feel free to leave me a note on the LibreOffice mailing list if you have any problems
or contact me directly via email.
What is parEntreprise?
parEntreprise and parEntreprise.com/org/net/ca were created in 2004. parEntreprise interests lie offering aid of various opensource solutions and of particular those of electronic means related to the use of Linux related solutions, music related solutions and community/community-building solutions as well as content management solutions (CMS).
parEntreprise believes in open and accessible knowledge for all. Opensource solutions as well as community involvement and sharing is at the core of its beliefs.
parEntreprise sees opensource solutions as viable alternatives to proprietary options. Community and individual involvement through cooperation and aide, where these are required, are important in the delivery of satisfying solutions and results.
parEntreprise will help provide opensource and community built solutions to organisations or individuals where previous solutions have proven otherwise unsatisfying and trying.
Opensource solutions, "out of the box thinking", community and individual involvement, consultation, mentoring and system management.
0 registered users and 3 anonymous guests on-line.
You are an anonymous guest.